Friday, March 2, 2012

A Tale of Antique Love

There is a small antiques shop where I live that I love to browse around in and drool over all the gorgeous stuff.  Gorgeous as in ~make you want to cry~ beautiful stuff!

001 (4) 

Early last year, I stopped in to look around and when I walked in the door…oh my gosh, I spotted her!  My eyes popped wide open and my jaw dropped…she was stunning!  I wanted to snatch her up and take her home with me.  Gold gilt over spelter, ruffled blue shading into pink cased glass, ornate base…it was love at first sight!

005 

Unfortunately, I had been unemployed over a year at that time and after one look at the price tag, I knew there was no way.  Sadly, I would have to leave it in the shop…but, oh my, did I want it!  You know that feeling when something just screams your name!

002 (4)

It had been purchased in New Orleans many years ago by the owner of the shop and had graced her home since then.  Deciding the time had come to sell it, she brought it into the shop.  She knew how badly I wanted to buy it, but also knew I simply couldn’t afford to at the time.

003 (2) 

For months, I would often stop by just to look at it and wish.  On one of my stops by the shop in late summer, the owner told me that she had a gentleman that wanted to buy it.  My heart dropped!  I was even more shocked when she told me that he offered her cash on the spot and she turned him down.  She said she knew how badly I wanted it and she just couldn’t sell it to him.  I was speechless…but still broke, if you know what I mean!

001

Now my mother often would go to the shop to browse also and one Saturday, a couple of weeks before Christmas, she asked me to go with her.  When we walked in the door, the owner had this big smile on her face when she saw us.  She told us to come with her and we walked to one of the back rooms of the shop.

003

There it was, sitting on a table.  My mother walked over and picked it up.  She turned to me and said “This is your combination birthday and Christmas present”.  I think I actually screamed!

011 (2)

I know I wanted to cry!  My mother said she didn’t want to try to wrap it because she was afraid it would get broken.  I don’t know which of the three of us ~my mother, the owner of the shop, or me~ was more excited!  We were all laughing and talking at the same time…I’m pretty sure at one point I probably did cry a little. 

001 (3)

My friend Richard at My Old Historic House told me that Victorian epergnes, or centerpieces as they were also called, were often used on tables in a hallway or parlor.  They were also used as the focal point for dining tables.  Depending on where they were used, epergnes could have held fruit or possibly even calling cards during the Victorian era.  I wish I knew how old she is!  

002 (3)

This is my third epergne, so officially I now have a collection, right?

epergnes 

By far, she is my favorite of the three!  Not only because I wished and hoped for her for so long, but also because my sweet mother gave her to me.

003 (3)

For a while, she sat in a cabinet in my living room.  Now though, she makes her home on my antique Victorian fern stand that I restored.  You can read about that here if you would like to. 

fern 

I’m linking up with Beverly at How Sweet the Sound for Pink Saturday

Thanks for stopping by to see me today!  Hope your weekend is pinkilicious! 

Dreamgoddess

11 comments:

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Just a beauty my dear friend..and Richard knows all..I know he'll help you girl..The story about this piece is just PRICELESS..Hope you have a GREAT weekend hugs and smiles Gloria

Richard Cottrell said...

You have done it again. Great find. This is what is known as a centerpiece, some call it a bride's basket. They were often found on dining room tables, tea tables or in entrance hall. It was usally just left empty as it is pretty that way. The statue is Spelter, which is a soft metal that could be made in a mold. No one seems to know how to do it today, so it is not reproduced. Your dish is art glass, opalestant swirl. Richard from My Old Historic House.

Marigene said...

What a lovely piece...sweet story, too.

Jewel Sauls said...

Loved it when I saw it in your previous post, but the story makes it even more beautiful!

Unknown said...

Melt my heart story. Your treasure forever.

I hope you will pop by to help us bring 'angel love' for a young girl who is sick.

Thank you.
Have a beautiful PS weekend ~
Marydon

Anonymous said...

Richard knows his stuff.....doesn't he? And your piece is spectacular and I am thrilled you got it! Happy happy Pink Saturday.xo

LV said...

I definitely agree that is one beautiful piece of work.

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Kim,
What a wonderful story!! It actually brought tears to my eyes when I read that your sweet Mom bought her for you!!
She is drop dead gorgeous!! As are the others in your collection!!
She looks perfect on your new stand!!
I can imagine how she makes you smile everything you look at her! What a wonderful memory for you!!
I can understand the shop owner's delight in wanting her to go to a good home where she would be appreciated!!
Thanks so much for sharing this great story with all of us!! I loved it!!
Thanks so much for your visits and kind comments!!
Your visits always put a smile on my face!!
Have a great weekend!!

Hus,
Deb

Barbe @ Beez Rental Designs said...

What a heartwarming post! And she is just lovely on your newly refurbished fern stand. By the way, you have been FEATURED for your linking your fern stand @ Frugal Treasures Tuesday! Thanks so much for joining and hope you'll share this post at the party tomorrow!
Barbe

lvroftiques said...

Richard does indeed know his stuff! (She's Victorian) And all I can say is girlfriend it's a good thing I didn't walk into that shop because I'd have thrown the money down and run with that beauty! *winks* She is absolutely gorgeous!...And sooo me!....Obviously sooo YOU also! *winks* I'm pinning her.... Vanna

Gina @ VictorianWannaBe said...

Hi! I am new to your blog. Vanna told me about it and I'm glad she did! I love your figural epergnes! Because of your posting I now know what my "unidentified object" is. The part the would hold the bowl is broken off though. So I hot glued a gumpaste rose there instead. If you look at my posting titled "Welcome to my Parlor, Part 1" you will see her sitting on the parlor table between the striped chairs. Hopefully you can see it well enough. Can't wait to catch up on your older posts!