Sunday, November 14, 2010

Cherry Jubilees

I’ve never before eaten cookies that had plain maraschino cherries in them and when this recipe caught my eye, I was intrigued enough to give it a try.

I found it in “Favorite Recipes of Alabama Vocational Home Economics Teachers Third Edition”.  It was published during the 1960’s and at that time my Grandmother’s youngest son was still in school.  I think she purchased the cookbook when it was sold through the school as a fundraiser. 

Ingredients are mixed well and then chopped cherries, coconut and pecans are added. 

SANY6100

I actually quartered the cherries, but mixing them into the dough breaks the quarters into smaller pieces.

SANY6104

The recipe states to bake 10 minutes, but I found the cookies were perfectly baked after only 8 minutes.  When the cookies are done, let them cool on a rack.

SANY6110

Time for afternoon tea…

cherry2

Super easy to make and oh my gosh, they are delicious!

SANY6117

SANY6115

I think they look so pretty with the bits of cherry baked in them.

SANY6116

Cherry Jubilees

1 1/2 c butter

2 c brown sugar

2 eggs

4 c flour

2 t baking soda

2 t vanilla

2 t salt

1/2 c shredded coconut

1 c chopped pecans

1 c chopped maraschino cherries

In a large bowl, cream the butter; add the sugar gradually and mix well.  Add the eggs and vanilla and mix well again.  Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt.  Add this to the sugar/eggs and blend well.  Add the pecans, coconut and cherries.  Mix until blended well.  Drop teaspoonfuls on a greased cookie sheet.  Bake at 375 degrees for about 10 minutes.  Yields 8 dozen cookies.

SANY6119

Although the recipe states it yields 8 dozen cookies, I made half of the recipe and it yielded 6 dozen cookies for me. 

SANY6123

I’m sharing my tea and cookies with Brenda’s Canadian Kitchen for another Cookbook Sundays. Don’t you want to join us?

DG

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are pretty cookies and perfect for the holiday season. I don't think I've ever had cookies with maraschino cherries in them either. And I'm a huge lover of coconut so these really sound delicious to me. Thank you so much for sharing with Cookbook Sundays!

Melynda@Scratch Made Food! said...

My Honey loves those cherries, we have a jar in the fridge. I think this would be a good cookie choice to make him, come the holidays. Thanks so much!

Couscous & Consciousness said...

I love cherries, especially with coconut, so I definitely have to try these. Thanks for sharing them.
Sue :-)

Mikey Fuller said...

Those look good! I've got a tummy ache from eating too many cookies before they met the oven today! Ha! My grandmother, aunt, and myself made lots of cookies today! Yum! I'm so glad to see my blog listed in your list! I will do the same here shortly for you! Merry Christmas!

Lori @ Dining Delight said...

Dream, I might be showing my age but those cookies look/sound like something my mom made way back! Hmmm, wonder if the New Year's "diet" resolutions can wait till I try the recipe you posted!
Happy New Year DG!

DD