Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Southern Lady Cake

Oh, I’m so glad you dropped by!  I’ve been baking and have a wonderful treat to share with you today.  I made a Southern Lady Cake and it’s one of my family’s favorite cakes.

006 (2) 

I’ve been making this cake for several years now after finding the recipe in an issue of Southern Lady magazine.  The recipe was created as a tribute to the magazine by a lady in Atlanta known as the “Cake Lady”.  It’s moist, has a wonderful texture and is so delicious with a delicate orange flavor.  Don’t be tempted to skip adding the glaze…it puts this cake right over the top!

Psst…if you don’t tell anyone it’s made from a mix, they’ll never know it! 

010

1 box orange supreme cake mix

1/3 c sugar

2 T all purpose flour

1 c sour cream

2/3 c oil

1/2 t orange extract

4 eggs

11 oz can mandarin oranges, drained

2 T orange juice

1 c confectioner’s sugar

Grease and flour a tube cake pan.  Combine the cake mix, sugar and flour in a large bowl.  Add the sour cream, the oil and orange extract.  Mix at low speed with a mixer.  Add the eggs, one at a time.  Increase the speed to medium and beat for 2 minutes.  Add in the mandarin oranges and mix until all ingredients are well combined.  Pour the batter into the prepared tube pan.  Bake at 350°F for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the cake comes out clean.  Let the cake cool in the pan for 15 minutes.  Combine the orange juice and confectioners sugar well.  Drizzle over the cake.

001

The original recipe called for baking 45-50 minutes, but it always takes longer to bake when I make this.  I usually end up having to bake it for about 1 hour before it’s done.

Thanks for visiting with me today!  I’m joining these parties…

Miz Helen’s Country Cottage for Full Plate Thursday

Alison at Stuff and Nonsense for Fridays Unfolded

Designs by Gollum for Foodie Friday

Sweet as Sugar Cookies for Sweets for a Saturday

Dreamgoddess

 

8 comments:

xinex said...

The cake looks so good and moist. Thanks for the recipe. But most of all, I want to thank you for praying for my sister during this difficult time...Christine

Richard Cottrell said...

Another wonderful cake. Just let them ,"Eat Cake." Richard from My Old Historic House.

Alison Agnew said...

this cake looks like everything
a cake should be

i'm bookmarking it
for my next pot luck!

thanks for stopping by Stuff and Nonsense
and taking the time to leave
a sweet comment

i hope you'll stop by today
and link up to Fridays Unfolded!

alison

lvroftiques said...

Ummm how could this cake be anything but wonderful given the ingredients?! *winks* I'm literally salivating! And I need to stay away from this stuff, but you're making it awfully hard!*winks* Vanna

Miz Helen said...

Your Southern Lady Cake looks so delicious and your presentation is lovely. Hope you have a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen

Unknown said...

you cannot go wrong with a cake mix cake, yum!

Miz Helen said...

Congratulations!
Your post is featured on Full Plate Thursday this week. Hope you are having a great day and enjoy your new Red Plate.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen

Gypsy Heart said...

Hmmmm, delish I know! Looks so pretty too. I dropped by from Miz Helen's and so glad I did. I'm now following and look forward to more of your creations.

Stop by and say hi when you can!

Pat