Friday, June 10, 2011

Wedded Bliss

My Grandparents, Bessie and Ambrose, were married on 11 March 1926.  They traveled to the county Courthouse and were married by a Justice of the Peace.  My Grandmother’s sister Viola and her husband, also named Ambrose, traveled with my Grandparents to witness their wedding.  How I wish I had a photo of them taken on their wedding day!  Unfortunately, this photo is the oldest known picture of the two of them together.  It was made circa 1934.

grandmother granddaddy

Their children hosted a surprise celebration for them on 11 March 1990, the day of their 64th wedding anniversary.  My Grandparents had been married for 64 years.  It was not quite a traditional anniversary year for a party, but due to their ages and health problems, their children didn’t want to wait another year.

wedding anniversary

After the party, my Grandmother carefully packed away the topper for the cake in her cedar chest.  My aunt, who lived with my Grandparents all her life, gave the topper to me after the death of my Grandmother.

wedding3

The cake topper has a place of honor on the buffet in my dining area.  It sits on a silverplated mirrored cake base and is covered with a glass vase used as a cloche.  Both were recent thrift store finds.

wedding10

Placed next to it is a framed photo of my Grandparents at the celebration.

wedding7

My husband and I married twice…the first time when we were very young.  Too young to really know what we were doing.  The second wedding was 8 years later, after we had both finally grown up.  We’ve been together now for almost 22 years and hope to have many more…in fact, I look forward to being with him as long as my Grandparents were married.

wedding11

I’m joining in with Stephanie at Angelic Accents for her 2nd Annual Wedding Blog Party - Here Comes the Bride.  Since there are some hints of pink in this post, I’m also linking up with Beverly for another Pink Saturday.  Thanks so much for visiting me today!

DG

 

18 comments:

Tammy @BeatriceBanks said...

Such a sweet post and beautiful tribute to your grandparents! Wishing you as many years of joy as they had!

Beverly said...

This is such a wonderful tribute to your grandparents and the glory of true love.♥

Thank you for sharing.

Trisha said...

What a wonderful love story-both you and your grandparents! The topper is such a treasure too! Thank you so much for sharing!

~Trisha

Honey at 2805 said...

This is a sweet tribute to your grandpapents. May we all grow old together!

Daphne Nicole & Lynda Cade said...

What a wonderful tribute to your grandparents... and how nice that you have the topper to display in your home! Hope you have many years together as they did!!!
Daphne

Holly said...

What a lovely post to honor your families heritage!
many blessings!

Karie said...

What a beautiful sweet story about your grandparents. How blessed you are to have had them. . .Now to have the cake topper as a gentle reminder of them. Thank you so much for sharing. And thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving your sweet comment. Karie

romance-of-roses said...

Thank you for sharing this beautiful couple, your grandparents. Wishing you many years of happiness just like your sweet grandparents. Thank you for stopping by my blog.
Hugs...Lu

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

What a wonderful story about your grandparents and I LOVE how you have the cake topper displayed! Stunning!

Loved seeing your wedding pics and I do wish that you celebrate 60 = years with your hubby!

Hugs,
Deb

Celestina Marie said...

Just a charming story of your grandparents love. How wonderful that you have the cake topper and so nicely displayed beside their picture. What a treasure!
You and your hubby are a gorgeous couple and you such a pretty bride both times. I wish you many more wonderful years and I am sure you will reach your grandparents milestone.

Thank you for stopping by and your kind comment. I have so enjoyed my visit here and hope to see you again.
Have a wonderful weekend.
Hugs from Texas, Celestina Marie

Anonymous said...

Dear DG - Joy to you and thanks for stopping by The Writer's Reverie to revel in my vintage lace wedding attire. I enjoyed your post, too, about your grandparents - made me think of a future post on my own two sets of grandparents. I also strolled through your May Pink Saturday post of all the pretties on you display cabinet - lovely, feminine - joyful - Blessing to you! Miss Kathy

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

Two beautiful stories! And LOVE those names -- Viola, Bessie, Ambrose -- beautiful!! Love the way you've displayed the cake topper -- lovely!

Unknown said...

Such a precious love story of your grandparents, DG. Love every word ... The picture & topper are fabulous treasures.

We were married twice also. Once in 1961 & when we grew up in 1974 ... we just celebrated our 50th ... all those bumps & bruises in the curving road we've endured, so in love. May you know the beauty of all the years ahead of you.

TTFN ~
Marydon

Shabbyprimdelights said...

What a precious gift you have to remember your grandparents by. The best gifts in life are the ones we receive to remember others by.
HPS
Michelle

LV said...

Two generation of memories.

Marti McClure said...

Beautiful way to display your treasure. What a wonderful memory and how nice that the topper was kept so well. Happy Pink Saturday! ~Marti

Shirl said...

Hello, Your wedding post is beautiful, what a sweet couple! Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a sweet comment.
Hugs, Shirl
Shirls Rose Cottage

Stephanie ~ Angelic Accents said...

Hello dear friend! I'm so glad you joined our Wedding Blog Party! My out of town relatives are gone now, and I'm so enjoying all my friend's beautiful wedding posts!

What a precious tribute you have shared to your grandparent's love for each other! How wonderfully you have lovingly displayed their photo and their cake topper! I know from somewhere up above they are smiling down on you! You and your husband make such a handsome couple and I think it is wonderful that you have shared your love and vows again. Thanks for sharing you heart, your hopes, your dreams with us all!

Big TX Hugs,
Stephanie
Angelic Accents