Thursday, June 10, 2010

Pink Mimosa and Blue Birds

When I see Mimosa trees in bloom, it always takes me back to when I was a little girl staying with my grandmother.  She had this huge Mimosa tree in her back yard and I would lay in the shade of the tree for hours either reading, playing or just daydreaming. 

SANY4947

From under the tree, I could see through the kitchen window and Grandmother always seemed to be baking something wonderful.  Sometimes, she would bring out a plate of tea cakes and a pitcher of lemonade and we would have a picnic under the Mimosa.

SANY4925

Those summer days seemed to last forever…wish we had time travel just so I could go back and picnic with her again under that Mimosa tree.

SANY4933

We have a Mimosa tree down at our barn and it’s in full bloom now.   I can look out my kitchen window and see those wispy little pink blooms blowing gently in the breeze.

I had originally thought to use cherry blossoms in my centerpiece, but the Mimosa blooms just called to my heart.

SANY4929

I layered a white tablecloth, blue table scarf, and white lace topper on the table. 

SANY4931

The dinnerware has bluebirds sitting on cherry blossom branches and I placed a depression glass sherbet dish on top for dessert.

SANY4938

A cobalt blue salad plate and white butter dish was added.  The iced tea glasses belonged to my grandmother and they have a pretty design etched on them.

SANY4940

The silver salt and pepper shakers were a recent antique store find.

SANY4942

I used a pink damask napkin wrapped with a white one and held together with silver napkin rings.  Silver beaded placemats were used under the place settings.

SANY4921

Mikasa cruets were used on the table to hold salad dressings.

SANY4922

View of the table by candlelight. 

SANY4956

SANY4959

The next you drop by, I’ll be sure to have some tea cakes and lemonade ready.  We’ll picnic under the Mimosa.  Oh and for anyone interested, you can find the recipe for my Grandmother’s tea cakes here

I’m joining in another Tablescape Thursday with Susan over at Between Naps on the Porch. 

DG

9 comments:

Johanna Gehrlein said...

DG, I love your table "under the Mimosa tree". I can feel that special atmosphere after reading your story. How nice are this memories to your grandmother. So this darling table is a nice tribute to the old times. I love this Mimosa flowers (Have never seen such before) anhd I love this cute plates. You made everything so thoughtfull and nice.
Greetings, Johanna

Kathleen said...

Very pretty DG! The plates are lovely! Save a tea cake and glass of lemonade for me too!

Jacqueline said...

I loved your story of the mimosa. I didn't even know what Mimosa looked like. So gorgeous. Loved the plates too - square is so amazing. I just posted my first tablescape today and love looking at everyone's. Thanks for sharing.

Marigene said...

Love your table, DG! Neat idea using the mimosa blossoms for your beautiful centerpiece.

Nancy Hellams said...

Your table is lovely. I never thought about using the Mimosa for a centerpiece. Very nice.

Connie said...

This is my first summer without my old mimosa tree and I really do miss the smell of those blossoms and the pretty pink. It lived for thirty years (longer than usual) and made a wonderful shade just as you describe. Thanks for bringing it back for a little while. Everything is so pretty on your table.

Nancy's Notes said...

Oh what a sweet table setting under that glorious tree! I could sit there all day long. Your tablescape is just delightful.

Nancy

Anonymous said...

Romance exudes from your tablescape!

Melissa Miller said...

It's all really beautiful and elegant!