Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Orange Cake

I’m joining Miz Helen for another Full Plate Thursday.  Today, I’m sharing an Orange Cake recipe that I found in a vintage cookbook. 

The cake is filled with the flavors of oranges, dates and nuts.  The crowning touch is a delicate orange  sauce that is poured over the cake while it is still hot from the oven.  So yummy and delicious!   

orange cake 

1 c butter

2 c sugar

4 eggs

1 t baking soda

1 1/3 c buttermilk

4 c flour

2 T grated orange rind

1 c chopped pecans

1 c chopped dates

Cream the butter and sugar; beat in the eggs, one at a time.  Combine the baking soda and buttermilk.  Add the buttermilk alternately with the flour.  Add the orange rind, pecans and dates and mix well.   Bake in a greased tube pan at 325 degrees for 1 1/2 hours.

Sauce:

1 1/2 c sugar

1 c orange juice

2 T orange rind

Combine ingredients and beat until the sugar dissolves.  Pour over the hot cake.  Let the  cake remain in the pan until cold.

SANY8135

I’m so glad you visited today and hope you’ll come back soon!

DG 

 

2 comments:

Carolina HeartStrings said...

What a wonderful flavor for a bread. I love orange and lemon anything so I cannot wait to try this one! Come over and visit us today. We have a really yummy chilled soup and a give away from the Fairy Hobmother.

Miz Helen said...

Hi DG,
What a great bread for my afternoon tea. I just love the orange combination of flavor. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and come back real soon.
Hope you have a great week end!
Miz Helen