Thursday, March 1, 2012

The Splendor of English Roses

Which is loveliest in a rose? Its coy beauty when it's budding, or its splendour when it blows?
~George Barlow

001

The weather has been really nasty this morning with rain pouring down.  Since it’s too yucky to get out and all my cleaning is finished (yeah!), I decided to play around with a very simple table setting for tonight’s dinner.

It’s been a while since I’ve actually set the table and we ate in the dining area.  In fact, I think the last time was at Christmas!  My youngest daughter told me yesterday that we really need to start eating together at the table…so this setting is for her.  Dinner at the table tonight…she’ll be tickled, especially since we’ll be dining by candlelight (she loves that!).

001 (2)

Just a simple setting…I used a pink tablecloth layered with a white lace cloth.  I added pink napkins with silver napkin rings.

005 (3)

To anchor each setting, I used a pink charger.  The dinner and salad plates are one of my favorite sets.  The pattern is “English Rose” featuring delicate pink and red roses on a sagey green background.

002 (2)

The footed glasses are “Heritage” by Fostoria.

007 (2)

The silverware belonged to my grandmother.  I always loved this pattern when I was growing up.

silverware

For the centerpiece, I used a silver footed tray that I found a couple of weeks ago at the thrift store.  A few glass marbles, two crystal votive candholders and one pink mosaic candleholder (another thrift store find!)…and I called it finished!  

012 (2)013

I’m joining Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for Tablescape Thursday.

I always enjoy your visits, so thanks for stopping by!

Dreamgoddess  

11 comments:

Donna (My Mothers {favorite} Daughter) said...

This is so beautiful anyone would feel so special to sit at this table and share a meal. I am totally in love with the footed glasses...don't you just love fostoria?

Richard Cottrell said...

Your table is divine and the wide open English rose makes me swoone. Richard from My Old Historic House.

All The Pretty Dishes said...

This is a lovely tablescape. I adore your grandmother's silver.

lvroftiques said...

Kim it looks beautiful!! Anyone would feel special at such a lovely table. I also love those rose dishes....You know how roses make me weak in the knees *winks* Vanna

Robin said...

All the elements are so pretty and work so well together. Those dishes are so pretty, as are the glasses. Where did you ever find pink chargers?

Robin
Robin Flies South

Unknown said...

A beautiful table! I am sure your family felt special sitting at this table. It says "I love you", no matter what's being served. The dishes are wonderful. I love roses and pink.Your daughter must have been thrilled!
Blessings My Friend,

Marigene said...

Beautiful table, DG...the dishes are lovely. I am going to look for some of that stemware, so pretty, and I am not even a pink person!
Hope your family enjoys the effort you put into the table they will dine at tonight...

Tess said...

Beautiful! Love those dishes...and how nice to have dinner in the dining room with a lovely table setting.

Jo Ann said...

Plates are beautiful! Since I just visited your site today, I hope you weren't affected by the tornadoes across Alabama today! I've never seen so many tornadoes in one day in my 72 years! So awful.

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Kim,
How stunning this tablescape is!1
You know I am a lover of pink and this just makes my heart sing!!
Love the dishes!!
Hugs,
Debbie

we three dogs and me said...

I also love the pinks and the dishes are beautiful. Love your header . I wish I knew how to do that.