Saturday, January 21, 2012

Maidens and Nymphs – the Fantasy Art of Hans Zatzka

My absolute favorite artist is Hans Zatzka, born 8 March 1859 in Vienna, Austria.  I first discovered Zatzka’s art while browsing eBay many years ago.   He studied at the Academy of Fine Arts in Vienna and also painted under the names P. Ronsard, Zabateri, Joseph Bernard, Bernard Zatzka and Pierre de Ronsard. 

Although Zatzka made his living from painting religious themed frescos in churches and alter paintings, he is perhaps best known for his paintings of maidens, nymphs and cherubs.

A copy of Zatzka’s “In the Night Sky” hangs in my dining area.   Looks so ethereal!

005

Two vintage prints in ornate brass frames hang in my living room.

zatzka1

My newest acquisition featuring the artwork of Hans Zatzka is this antique vase trimmed with gold and marked Victoria Austria.  I spotted it in my favorite antique shop and quickly grabbed it before someone else bought it!

Zatzka2

Here are other examples of Zatzka artwork showcasing gorgeous nymphs, maidens and cherubs.  Warning…stop here if you don’t like seeing partial nudity!!  Zatzka was obviously fond of painting semi nudes.  LOL! 

“Fortune”

fortune

“Elfenreigen” – This is one of my favorites…nymphs dancing under the light of the full moon.

Zatzka5

“Water Nymph”

print1

“Symphony of Water Nymphs”

symphony of water nymphs

“Water Idyll”

water idyll

“Pearls of the Sea” – this is another favorite of mine.

zatzka pearls of the sea

“The Arrival of Spring”

zatzka the arrival of spring

“Venus with Putti and Attendants”

zatzka5 

Zatzka  continued to paint until he was in his 80’s and died on 17 December 1945.  His artwork is very collectible now and often commands high prices at auction. 

I’m joining Cindy at My Romantic Home for Show and Tell Friday.   Since some of his artwork does have hints of pink in them, I’m joining Beverly at How Sweet the Sound for Pink Saturday.

Thanks for joining me today!  Hope the rest of your weekend is wonderful!

Dreamgoddess

10 comments:

Marti McClure said...

The collection of Zatzka you have put together is wonderful! Happy Pink Saturday, ~Marti

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Hello!!
I am so glad that you saw my post because you are the reason why I did it!! I tried to comment telling how beautiful these paintings were and I could not comment. I tried to email you but you did not have it listed . I have emailed other bloggers letting them know what is happening because it is happening a lot to different blogs. So I am so glad that you saw this post!!
Glad I could help!!
I love all that you have shared with us in this post!! Just stunning and I am so glad that I am able to tell you now!! LOL!!

Hugs,
Deb

Ruth...Time Was Antiques said...

A great collection of Zatzka...especially the vase! A great find! Thanks for sharing and thanks for visiting. It's nice to meet you!
Cheers!
R

Lorraine said...

You must have been so happy to find that vase!! Lovely pics! Thanks for sharing. Happy Pink Saturday!! ~Lorraine ♥♥♥

Erica (Irene) said...

The collection you put together is amazing.Thanks for sharing....I love anything with fairies, cherubs or angels. They are my absolute favourite.

Anonymous said...

All the paintings are beautiful, but my favorite is the vase because it's so different. Bet that's a great conversational piece in your home. I've never heard of this artist, so thanks for the history behind this pieces. Also, thanks for visiting my blog this past week!

Richard Cottrell said...

The old timers knew how to do things beautiful. Richard from My Old Historic House.

Denise said...

Hi DG,

This was a beautiful AND informative post. I always like it when I get a little education along with the eye candy.

Your vase is wonderful! I bet it makes you smile every time you pass by it.

Now, you need to tie all those nymphs and maidens in with Shakespeare's Midsummer Nights Dream.
How's that for a challenge????

Ellie said...

WOW. I love this artist, and want to get some of his prints. I love Mucha's ladies, but like these even more. You have a beautiful collection. Thanks so much for sharing. Think I'm headed for a new collection.

Unknown said...

My daughter is forty seven she was on my hip as a baby when i found the painting Elfenreigen by Zabateri at an estate auction. The glass was real thick and the painting was lying on a bed it was an outside auction. The sun was glaring and made the picture look black. I laid my daughter on the bed and man handle the picture and saw the most beautiful painting. I obtained this picture for only three dollars. The glass did have a crack in the far left upper corner so I suppose no one took the time to see the beautiful painting. I did change out the glass and had a newer frame installed. I still have the old frame it is gold. It is very old. This is a print but in very good shape. It is huge about 40"x24" guessing. The full picture shows three Satires hunch down in the far right bottom corner. Would love to know just how much it is worth?