Friday, November 5, 2010

Pear Cobbler

I had a few pears left from the ones my mother-in-law brought to me and I decided to try a Pear Cobbler recipe that my Aunt Sara had given me years ago.  The recipe is very easy to make and it made my kitchen smell wonderful as it was baking!

SANY5933-1

The pears are combined with flour, sugar and spices.

SANY5927

Dot with butter.

SANY5928

Combine the pastry ingredients.

SANY5929

The pastry ingredients are rolled out and cut in strips.  After placing the strips on the pears, the cobbler is ready for baking. 

Oops, looks like some of my strips have ragged edges!  Somehow I just have a feeling my family won’t care though!

SANY5930

Hot from the oven and ready to enjoy!

SANY5934

You can serve the cobbler plain…

SANY5958

SANY5959

or with a scoop of ice cream.

SANY5962

SANY5966

Warm and yummy from the oven…it’s a perfect dessert for Autumn!

SANY5935-1

Pear Cobbler

4 c pears, chopped (about 6 medium pears)

1 T lemon juice

3 T All-Purpose flour

1 1/4 c sugar (if you’re using fresh pears)

1/2 t nutmeg

1/2 t cinnamon

Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl.  Add the pears and stir well to combine.  Put in a 8x8 baking dish (I sprayed my dish with Pam first).  Pour the lemon juice over the mixture and dot with butter.

Pastry:

1 c All-Purpose flour

1/2 t salt

1/3 c shortening

1/4 c shredded cheddar cheese

2-3 T water

Combine all ingredients and place on a floured surface.  Roll out the pastry and cut in strips.  Place the strips on top of the pears and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

SANY5963-1

I’m joining Designs by Gollum for Foodie Friday.  I’m also joining in with Brenda’s Canadian Kitchen for Cookbook Sundays. Come on over and check it out…bet you’ll get some great recipe ideas!

 

DG

5 comments:

Lori @ Dining Delight said...

Dream, that looks absolutely delish and so fall-ish! I love warm desserts served with ice cream so that it melts a bit! Love the pic with the lights glowing in the background - so pretty and cozy at the same time! I'm rushing off to work right now but would much rather sit myself down to enjoy some of your pear cobbler and have a chat with you!

DD

Lisa said...

What a beautiful lattice crust. This sounds like the perfect dessert for fall, so nice and warm. By the way, I'm holding a CSN giveaway on my blog and you're welcome to come by and enter. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2010/11/45-csn-giveaway.html

Melynda@Scratch Made Food! said...

I have been on the lookout for more pear dessert recipes, this one looks heavenly. Thanks so much.

Anonymous said...

You did a wonderful job on your lattice crust! Beautiful. This dessert looks so comforting and perfect for fall and winter. Thank you so much for sharing with Cookbook Sundays. Have a great week!

Couscous & Consciousness said...

This looks beautiful. I'm not very brave about making my own pastry but yours looks beautiful, and I love the idea of the cheese in there - great flavour with the pears.
Sue :-)