Thursday, December 30, 2010

Ambrosia

Ambrosia…in Greek mythology, it’s known as “the food of the Gods” and was thought to bestow immortality to all those who partook of this divine food. 

About 30 years ago, my future husband and I were visiting his Grandmother in Georgia before Christmas and she made Ambrosia for us.  This was the beginning of my love affair with this delicious indulgence.  After my husband and I married, it became a tradition for  him to make Ambrosia to serve at our Christmas morning breakfast.

ambrosia1

Ambrosia can be made with basically any fruits that you would like to use, but oranges are a must have ingredient.  Chopped pecans or walnuts can also be added.  Some people like to add in sliced bananas, grapes or cherries, but we like to keep it simple with basically oranges and coconut.

ambrosia3

Start out by putting sectioned pieces of oranges and the orange juice in a bowl.  Add in some coconut and any other fruits and chopped nuts that you like.  Then add in sugar to taste and …voila, you have Ambrosia.  How simple is that!

ambrosia2

Do you make Ambrosia?  What fruits do you like to add to it?

Thanks for visiting today.  I’m joining Designs by Gollum for another Foodie Friday.  See you there!

DG

 

4 comments:

Dining Delight said...

I've never made Ambrosia though I think my Mom used to. It sounds/looks super-delish...especially served in that gorgeous green compote dish!
Love the font you used in this post!
Happy New Year!

DD

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

I've never made it either. I actually didn't grow up eating it, and I wasn't introduced to it until a few years ago. I wonder how it got it's name....

:)
ButterYum

Unknown said...

UMMMMM... sounds like a healthy version to me! :) I make Ambrosia but it has such items as miniature marshmallows and sour cream. This sounds like a good alternative for those of us trying to watch the sugar and calories.
Thanks!
~Liz

Miz Helen said...

I love a good Ambrosia. Thank you for sharing and Happy New Year!