Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Woodland Winter Wonderland

It’s time for another Tablescape Thursday with Susan over at Between Naps on the Porch.  Be sure to check out all the beautiful tables this week!

Brrr…come on in and warm up by the fire.  I can’t believe how cold it is!  I live in the Deep South and it just isn’t supposed to be this cold.  I was taking my children to school a couple of day ago and the thermometer registered a whopping 11 degrees.  I know many of you have weather colder than this, but we’re simply not used to it.  Honestly, does anyone “get used to” weather this cold?? 

Fortunately tonight is supposed to be the last night we have a “hard freeze”.  Boy, I am so tired of hearing that expression!  Even though I’m tired of the cold, I was so disappointed that it didn’t snow.  Since I wasn’t able to look out my window and see a beautiful snowfall, I decided to do a winter wonderland tablescape.  At least I can look at some “faux snow”. 

 SANY4109

I wanted the items that I used on the table to look icy and snowy, so I used all silver and white.

SANY4053

As I was setting the table, I imagined I was walking through a forest early in the morning after a late night snowfall.  I looked out over the pristine snow and there I saw them.  I quietly stopped and watched a doe with her baby fawn as they awoke from sleeping under a frozen alpine tree.

SANY4058

The mother deer stretches her neck to sniff the air.  Did she catch my scent as I quietly watched them?  No…I think she senses the big buck coming from the other side of the forest.

SANY4060

I decided I better stop daydreaming and finish the table setting, so I could begin cooking.  Hungry mouths to feed you know.

On the table, I layered acrylic snowflakes under silver beaded placemats and topped them with white dishes that have a platinum rim.  Clear acrylic handled flatware and snowflake glasses completed each setting.  Crystal knife rests add sparkle as well as the tiny snowflake place card holders trimmed with rhinestones.

SANY4106

  I placed two silver taper candles in crystal candleholders on each end of the table.  In the center I used two white and silver snowflake candles sitting on mirrors. 

SANY4100

To complete my centerpiece, I used a crystal vase that belonged to my grandmother.  I filled it with silver curly twigs and icy branches.

When I was a little girl, there used to be long icicles hanging from the roof of my grandmother’s home in the winter.  I loved to look at them sparkling in the sun and always hated to see them melt.  It’s sort of sad to me that we don’t see very many icicles here anymore, so I hung prisms from the branches in the vase to remind me of simpler times.

SANY4089

I hope you’ve enjoyed this journey through my winter wonderland.  Sending warm wishes your way!

DG

19 comments:

susan said...

You achieved your goal-It looks like a winter wonderland with all the crystal, mirrors, and silver. I love the sparkle and reflections. I LOVE the branches in the centerpiece. What are they? Did you make them? Beautiful table!

Unknown said...

You captured the winter freeze perfectly. I think this is a stunning tablescape. Elegant, classic and just the right amount of bling. I love all the sparkle and reflections, too. Amazing!

The Muse said...

I agree with others...you have indeed captured the feeling completely...simply throw open the windows and doors and let nature join in...

What a fantasy shot that would be...

Magnificent!

Lori (All That Splatters) said...

What an amazing tablescape! Everything is so cleverly done and stylish. I love it all. It sparkles without being "aloof"... it's still an inviting table. I am in love with this theme and your talent!

jillskict said...

Stunning, and I did feel like I had woken up and walked through the woods after a nightly snowfall! Love it! Now what are you serving?

Phyllis @Around the House said...

wow it does look like a winter wonderland, so inviting and fun, i would love to attend the party,..

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Magnificent. Everything looks like beautiful ice sculptures. I love it all. Such a wonderful tablescape. Hugs, Marty

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

We were thinking alike with our "winterscapes" -- yours is breath takingly stunning -- like a beautiful vinyette encased in ice! Thanks for your sweet visit.

gigharborscrapper said...

I LOVE your table...so pretty, lots of fun elements.
Valerie

Celly B said...

Gorgeous, icy, sparkling tablescape!

Chubby Chieque said...

Such a wonderful winter decor you shared today. A real wonder winterland.

Great job.

Marigene said...

This is one of my all-time favorite tablescapes. You must have had fun creating this winter wonderland...it is stunning.

Americana Lady said...

Your tablescape is beautiful, simple, yet elegant! I too like to set up a little vignette and imagine what is happening there. I'm always wishing I was small enough to visit them.

Debbiedoos said...

Just beautiful! Thanks for the inspiration!!~~Debbie

Kathleen said...

Hi DG!
It looks beautiful..all icy and stunning!
The centerpiece is great!
Beautiful table!

Dining Delight said...

Dream, how beautiful! I just love the icy-ness of it all. The little stories you put with your 'scapes make them come alive.

DD

Jewel Sauls said...

DG, You already know I love this! You really do need to see the current Tea Time Mag but seriously, your table is better!

Unknown said...

What kind of snowflakes did you use under your placemats?

Unknown said...

What kind of snowflakes did you use under your placemats?