Friday, November 5, 2010

Autumn’s Splendor

While helping my aunt with some cleaning back during the spring, I spotted the dishes used in this week’s table in a pie safe that had belonged to my Grandmother.  I’ve been wanting to do this table setting for quite a while now, but had to wait until Halloween was over.

SANY5892

The menu for dinner is Spicy Blackeyed Pea Soup, tiny Barbecue Sandwiches made with tea biscuits, a side salad and Pear Cobbler for dessert.

The dishes that inspired my table is “Trellis Blossom” by Mountain Wood Collection Stoneware.  I believe this pattern is from the 1970’s and I see this and similar dishes quite a bit in thrift stores now.

SANY5923

“Sorrento” salad plates, another thrift store find, in the color Oregano are layered on top of the dinner plates.

SANY5924

Topping the salad plates are the “Trellis Blossom” soup bowls that I’ll be using for dessert.  Sitting in the “Trellis Blossom” bowls are individual covered soup bowls.  These bowls were a great find at my favorite antique shop…I only paid $2.50 for the four covered soup bowls and salt/pepper shakers. 

SANY5925

I love the look of layered dishes!  I think the delicate wheat pattern on the covered bowls is so pretty and perfect for Autumn.

SANY5895

The “Royal Baroque” stainless flatware is one of my favorite patterns that I inherited from my Grandmother. 

SANY5896 

A brass bowl with a crystal insert will hold salad dressing.  A “Modern Precious” ladle will be used for dipping the dressing.

SANY5897

Another brass dish holds a crystal bowl in the shape of a cluster of grapes.  I’ll place four Perfect One-Bite Brownies in this dish.  This will cover that most important food group – Chocolate!

SANY5903

A brass wine holder has two green Harvest ramekins placed on it.  One will be used for barbecue sauce and the other will hold tiny dill pickles.

SANY5901

Each setting has a place card made from a vintage postcard.  I love the little wheat wreath with flowers that surrounds the pretty cottage.  On the reverse side is found the sentiment “Autumn’s Splendor”.

SANY5899

SANY5900

The set of salt and pepper shakers that match the covered bowls are elevated on a brass candleholder.  Pinecones and acorns decorate the crystal plate and the curves on the candleholder echo the curves in the wine holder. 

Rainflower” by Anchor Hocking will be used to serve iced tea for dinner.

SANY5904

A pair of bird candleholders sit under the centerpiece while a pair of brass candleholders flank it. 

SANY5907

The centerpiece holds sparkly bronze pears and leaves, berries, pinecones, bay leaves and fall flowers. 

SANY5912

I have to give a shout out to my friends over at GW for the suggestion to use the bronze pears and leaves!  Thanks ladies…y’all are the BEST!

SANY5911 

Night is falling , dinner is ready and it’s time to light the candles.

SANY5937 SANY5954 SANY5952

Centerpiece by candlelight…

SANY5951

Would you like some Pear Cobbler for dessert?  The recipe can be found here.

SANY5962-1

 I’m joining Susan over at Between Naps on the Porch for another Tablescape Thursday.  We would love to have you join us!

DG

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

12 comments:

Anita Diaz said...

What a beautiful table!! That dinnerware is wonderful! And I love the flatware too. I had not seen that pattern. Love the layering and all the gorgeous details!! Beautiful!!

Linda @ Life and Linda said...

You have set a beautiful table with all of your Fall accents. The pear cobbler looks divine. Linda

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Wha a fun table, and the menu sounds great, too!
I remember those dishes from the 70's. I am trying to remember who had them, but it is evading me. But I do remember them! Cute little covered soups, too, and I love how you layered with the green plate. Looks like you had a great time doing this table, and it shows!

Happy Tablescape Thursday (on Friday!)...

XO,

Sheila :-)

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Oops! Typo! That should be "What" in the first sentence. LOL! Sorry!

XO,

Sheila :-)

xinex said...

Lovely tablescape! And I want some of that cobbler...YUM!..Christine

Barbara said...

What a pretty table! Those plates look very familiar to me. The cobbler looks soooo good!

Denise said...

Dream,
It's just lovely - as usual. Love the bronze and copper pear centerpiece.
OA

Marigene said...

Beautiful table with the vintage plates. I have seen them in the thrift stores lately, too. I love the covered soup bowls.

Tricia said...

Thanks for commenting on my table last week! I'm glad to have found your blog again. You have done a wonderful job of blending thrifty finds with favorite pieces for a warm and welcoming table. I especially like those covered soup bowls -- such a pretty pattern for fall!

Alycia Nichols said...

It is SO hard to find pretty covered bowls these days! I'm glad you were able to get such a great bargain!

Debbie said...

OK, I'm old enough to remember that dinner plate pattern in "real time". It's a festive one, and I love the way you focused on that brown rim to ground the whole stack. It's perfect.

I *think* those soup bowls are my favorite part. It's all so fallish and warm that it's hard to say, though. Those pears were perfect on the table. That might be a "tie" for favorite.

Great job all the way around.

Jewel Sauls said...

Love the whole table DG! My mother-in-law had those plates. Love the placecards!