Friday, May 13, 2011

Peanut Butter Cookies

I was browsing through my favorite antique shop yesterday and came across this beautiful  circa 1900 Austrian floral plate.  I fell in love with the gorgeous turquoise coloring of the border and of course the pink roses were a wonderful bonus.  Best of all…it was on sale for half price!

cplate

As I was washing the plate this morning, I thought…hmmm…I need something to put on it.  It’s been a while since I baked something from my Grandmother’s cookbooks, so I decided I would make some cookies.

SANY7775

Cookies…ok, got it.  But what kind???  A quick look through her book “Favorite Recipes of Alabama Vocational Home Economics Teachers Third Edition”, and I had my choice…Peanut Butter Cookies.

cookies1

1/2 c soft shortening (half butter)

1/2 c peanut butter

1/2 c sugar

1/2 c brown sugar (firmly packed)

1 egg

1 1/4 c sifted all-purpose flour

1/2 t baking powder

3/4 t soda

1/4 t salt

Combine the soft shortening, peanut butter, sugar, brown sugar and egg; mix well.  Sift together the flour, baking powder, soda and salt.  Add to the peanut butter mixture and mix well.  Chill for about 2 hours.  Roll the dough into small balls and flatten the dough by making crisscross marks with a fork dipped in flour on each ball.  Bake at 350 for about 9-10 minutes, until the cookies are set but not hard.

The recipe states it makes 3 dozen cookies, but I must have made mine a bit smaller.  I actually ended up with a little over 4 dozen cookies.

SANY7768

These were super easy to make and the peanut butter flavor is yummilicious!  My family is going to love these!

cookies

I’m joining Miz Helen at her Country Cottage for Full Plate Thursday and Lisa for Sweets for a Saturday.  Thanks for visiting with me today!

DG

 

1 comment:

Miz Helen said...

Hi DG,
That is a beautiful plate, and I love your photo touches, great work! That cookbook would be awesome what a treasure. The cookies look delicious with great flavor. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you next week!