Thursday, January 20, 2011

Old Fashioned Pound Cake

Last summer, I was helping my aunt with some cleaning and found a recipe for Old Fashioned Pound Cake in one of her kitchen drawers.  My aunt couldn’t remember who had given the recipe to her, but she had written it down on the back of a receipt dated December 1980.  I brought the recipe home with me to put in the binder with my Grandmother’s cookbooks.

Last week, my aunt was visiting with us overnight.  Since I know she loves Pound Cakes, I decided to bake the cake for her visit.  Neither of us had tried the recipe before, so this seemed like the perfect time!

SANY6559

Old Fashioned Pound Cake

1 c butter, softened

1/2 c shortening

3 c sugar

5 eggs

3 c All-Purpose flour

1 t baking powder

1 c milk

1 t vanilla extract

1 t lemon extract

Cream butter and shortening.  Gradually add the sugar; beat until light and fluffy.  Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after adding each one.  Combine the flour and baking powder; add alternately with milk.  Beat well after each addition.  Add the extracts.

Pour the batter in a greased and floured tube pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour 15 minutes or until the cake tests done.  Cool in the pan for 15 minutes.  Remove from pan and cool completely.

SANY6560

As soon as I took the cake from the pan, we cut slices and ate them while they were still warm.  According to my aunt, “that’s when they’re the best, warm from the oven”.  Well, I can honestly say that this one tasted delicious served warm.  Course, it was good after it cooled too!

SANY6568

We thought this recipe made a really good pound cake…the only complaint my family had was that it was gone way too soon!

SANY6570

I’m  joining in with Miz Helen’s Country Cottage for Full Plate Thursday and Designs by Gollum for Foodie Friday.  I hope you join us too…who knows, you might find a new recipe to try!

I hope you’ve enjoyed having cake with me today!  Please do come back soon and visit with me again.  I’ve so enjoyed talking with you today.

DG

 

5 comments:

Martha said...

Looks lovely -- there is nothing IMO like a poundcake!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love pound cake and yours looks wonderful. Wish I had a slice! :)
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Lisa said...

OH that pound cake is so golden and the crumb looks so tight. I'm not surprised that it got eaten u in no time. I'm starting a new linky on my blog called "Sweets for a Saturday" and I'd like to invite you to stop by tomorrow or during the weekend and link this up.

Miz Helen said...

Hi DG,
Yes I will have that slice of pound cake. It looks delicious and I am going to enjoy every bite. Thank you so much for bringing it to Full Plate Thursday and please come back!

MrsJenB said...

Lovely. Nothing like some of those old fashioned recipes, is there? I would love to try this one for myself! It looks so moist, I swear I can taste it.

I also love all of the accessories in the photos, really beautiful!