Monday, January 3, 2011

Christmas Throughout My Home

Today, I’m joining Marty at A Stroll Thru Life for Table Top Tuesday.  I know it’s a little late to be sharing Christmas photos…but since I was without a computer during the season, I couldn’t join any of the fun events going on before Christmas.  I’ll be taking all the decorations down this week and I wanted to post photos before everything is packed away.  I will warn you beforehand….this is a long post with lots of photos!

I really enjoyed reading Marty’s post about paring down and how large the house feels with the decorations packed away…hopefully after this week, my house will feel the same way!

SANY6376

I’m quite sure my style doesn’t appeal to most people’s taste when it comes to Christmas decorating, but I absolutely adore using pink for Christmas.  My aunt tells me each year “you are so untraditional!”.  However, I get my red and green fix when I decorate her house each year.

Starting with the heart of the home…the kitchen is one of the few spots in my home where you’ll find touches of traditional Christmas colors.  It’s decorated in a Candyland theme with lots of goodies and treats.

SANY6351

You’ll find unicorn pops, rock candy, candy canes, jelly beans and candy peppermint trees in this corner on my counter. 

SANY6361

Apothecary jars filled with hard candies, peppermint, almond roca, gumdrops, and ribbon candy sit on my Hoosier cabinet.  Ornaments decorated as apples, ice cream cones, fruit and gingerbread men are placed in the garland.  The top of the cabinet is decorated with garland, sugared fruits, more candy and ornaments.

SANY6343

SANY6344

SANY6346 

SANY6347

I love the Victorian decorating style and I’ve tried to bring a touch of it to my dining area.  My buffet is decorated with pink roses and ornaments.  I cross stitched the “Victorian Noel” picture several years ago, but this is the first year I’ve used it.

SANY6332 

SANY6333

SANY6334

SANY6335

The china cabinet and tea table all received the pink treatment with ornaments, snowflakes and angel.

SANY6328

SANY6322

This tree is one of my favorites.  It’s decorated with vintage pink ornaments from the 1950’s to 1960’s.  The kneehugger elves are also from the 1960’s…I can remember my mother having two of these elves on our tree when I was a child.  The tree skirt was made for me by two very talented ladies.  It was made from a chenille bedspread that belonged to my grandmother. 

SANY6329

You can see the beginnings of my New Year’s Eve table in this photo…hopefully I’ll be sharing it later this week.  I wasn’t quite finished with it when I snapped these photos last week.

SANY6431

Last year, Judith at Sweet Designs blew me away with her decorated “Christmas Lady”.  I just kept going back looking at her photos and really wanted to drool.  LOL!  You can see Judith’s photos of her here.  I knew I just had to decorate my lady similar to the one Judith has.  Imitation…flattery…you know the expression.  Although mine didn’t turn out quite as elegant as Judith’s lady, I was pleased with the outcome. 

SANY6390

lady

My Lefton village has a place of honor on the piano.  Most of the pieces were given to me years ago by my mother and mother-in-law.  As soon as it comes down, the mirror is getting a paint job…I’m looking forward to that!

SANY6381

Usually our Christmas tree has pink roses added among the branches, but my two youngest daughters decorated it this year and decided they didn’t want the roses on it.  The tree is decorated mainly with silver and glass ornaments.  Each year, my children receive a new glass ornament made by a talented blown and spun glass artist from Tennessee.  I try to choose one for each of them that has special significance to events that happened during the year. 

SANY6383

SANY6384

While buying my children’s ornaments, I spotted this gumball machine.  I couldn’t leave without bringing it home for my own!

SANY6408

The coffee table is decorated with my collection of Snow Queens.  Crystal ornaments, snowy branches and icicles surround them.  Of course, it wouldn’t be complete without pink ornaments and candles.

SANY6399

On the opposite side of the room is the fireplace mantle all decked out for the season with greenery, crystal and pink ornaments and icicles.  Pink stockings hang at each end of the mantle.

SANY6364

SANY6370

SANY6365

If you’re still with me after this loooong post, I’ll leave with a final tree.  This is a favorite one with all my children and grandchildren…my Wizard of Oz tree.  I’ve been putting up this tree now for many years.  The ornaments are from Hallmark and I add in other items from the movie such as apples, snowflakes and poppies.  The table is covered with a yellow cloth and blue gingham fabric (like Dorothy’s dress) covered the tree base.  Ruby slippers sit underneath the tree.

woz

SANY6422

SANY6424

Wow, I guess I’ll close now and if you made it all the way to the bottom of this post…thank you for sticking with me!  I hope you’ve enjoyed seeing Christmas around my house and also I hope you’ll visit again soon!

DG

 

5 comments:

Lori @ Dining Delight said...

Dream, I really enjoyed seeing all of your pretty decorations...especially at this time of year when Christmas is winding down and I'm feeling sad. You did an excellent job on your decorated lady - I'm sure Judith would think so too! I like how you use pink to decorate with, it is something different and fun to see.
Thanks for sharing all your lovely photos!
DD

Couscous & Consciousness said...

Beautiful photos - thanks for sharing them.

Thank you for stopping by my blog, and taking the time to leave your lovely comment.

Sue :-)

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh all of your decorations are so pretty. The pink is lovely and so perfect in your home. I can see why you love it. The candyland in the kitchen is just unreal. Beautiful. Thanks so much for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

lvroftiques said...

Well I love your pink decorations and your victorian style! Thanks for sharing them! Vanna

Donnie said...

Everything is just lovely. Your photos are gorgeous.