Thursday, February 3, 2011

Cajun Roasted Chicken

For Full Plate Thursday with Miz Helen, I’m sharing a recipe for Cajun Roasted Chicken from Food.com (formerly Recipezaar).  It was originally posted there by a very sweet chef that I had the wonderful  privilege to call my friend.  Amy, chef name Redneck Epicurean at Zaar, passed away in 2007.  I was thinking about her the other day and decided to make this recipe again in memory of her.     

The recipe is super simple to prepare and the chicken is full of Cajuny flavor goodness!  It’s not very spicy, but you could definitely kick it up a few notches if you wish.

The pictures aren’t pretty by any means…I barely managed to snap a couple of photos before my family dug in!

SANY6814

Cajun Roasted Chicken

2 T Cajun seasoning

2 T brown sugar

2 T canola oil

1/2 t dried oregano

1/2 t salt

1 garlic clove, minced

6-7 lb roasting chicken

Combine the Cajun seasoning, brown sugar, oil, oregano and salt in a small bowl.  Divide this in half and add garlic to one half.  Loosen the skin from the chicken and rub the garlic mixture under the skin.  With the other mixture, rub the outside of the chicken.

Place the chicken on a wire rack in a roasting pan.  Roast at 350 degrees at 17-20 minutes per pound, or until a meat thermomether shows the chicken is done. (Amy’s instructions state internal temperature of 180 degrees).  Let stand 10 minutes before carving the chicken.

SANY6812

This is one of my family’s favorite recipes for Roasted Chicken.  It’s simply delicious!  You can also use this recipe for roasted turkey breast.

Thanks for joining me today!

DG


2 comments:

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Kim...

Mmmm...this sounds sooo good, my friend! Thanks for sharing your recipe! I will definitely be giving this a try!

Warmest wishes,
Chari @Happy To Design

Miz Helen said...

Hi DG,
You have a talented friend. I just love this recipe and your Cajun Roasted Chicken looks amazing. Thank you so much for bringing it to us to enjoy at Full Plate Thursday. You have a great week end and please come back!