Friday, February 4, 2011

Oatmeal Cookies

My daughter subtly hinted last night that the cookie jar was empty…so I decided to try this recipe from one of my Grandmother’s cookbooks.  I wish I knew the name of the book, but the cover is missing along with many of the pages.  Based on the style of writing throughout the book, I’m sure it’s one of the oldest cookbooks she owned, probably dating to the 1930’s. 

My family, but especially my husband, absolutely devours Oatmeal Cookies, so I’m pretty sure they’re going to be pleased when they get home.

oatmeal1

Oatmeal Cookies

1 c butter

1 c sugar

2 eggs

1 T milk

3/4 t soda

1 t cinnamon

1/2 t salt

2 c flour

1 c chopped raisins

2 c oats

Cream the butter and sugar; add the egg and milk.  Sift the dry ingredients and add them; mix well.  Stir or mix in the oats and raisins.

If a rolled cookie is desired, chill the dough.  Roll out on a floured surface to about 1/4” thick and cut with cookie cutters.

If a soft, thick cookie is desired, drop from a spoon 1” apart on a buttered cookie sheet.

Bake at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes.

oatmeal2

~~There were no actual written instructions for the Oatmeal Cookies, only to follow the instructions for another cookie recipe (Standard Cookies) in the book.  The directions above are how I made the cookies.

Since I made drop cookies, I don’t know how well the dough would roll out.  My cookies were done after 10 minutes of baking and the recipes yields about 7 dozen cookies.~~

oatmeal3

These were soft and chewy and oh so good!

Thanks for visiting me today!  I’m linking to the following:

Designs by Gollum for Foodie Friday

Lisa at Sweet as Sugar Cookies for Sweets for a Saturday

Alli at Alli n Son for Sweet Tooth Friday

Brenda’s Canadian Kitchen for Cookbook Sundays. 

Why don’t you join us and check out all the wonderful food?

DG

 

5 comments:

Unknown said...

OH WOW!!! oatmeal cookies are one of my hubby favorites, this would make a GREAT!!! Valentine's Day treat!!!
Come by and visit I love visitor anytime!!!

Anonymous said...

I have an old cookbook of my grandmother's too (also from the 1930's) that I have to go through one of these days and pick out a recipe to try. I love oatmeal raisin cookies with a tall glass of ice cold milk. Thank you so much for sharing with Cookbook Sundays!

Melynda@Scratch Made Food! said...

Cookies are the only way I can get my Honey to eat oats, these look wonderful. thanks for sharing.

Lisa said...

I love that subtle way of getting you to make cookies. Looks like it worked and that you got some delicious results. Thanks for linking this up to Sweets for a Saturday.

Couscous & Consciousness said...

Very delicious looking cookies - I'd quite like one for my morning tea right now :-)
Sue