Saturday, January 1, 2011

Old-Fashion Sugar Cookies

Today, I’m sharing a recipe for sugar cookies from “Favorite Recipes of Alabama Vocational Home Economics Teachers”, circa 1966.  I’m joining in with Brenda’s Canadian Kitchen for another Cookbook Sundays and I’m really looking forward to seeing you there!   

SANY6267

This is the first time I’ve made sugar cookies that contained oats.  I did have  quite a bit of trouble with the recipe as the dough simply would not roll out for me, even after chilling for several hours.  I ended up having to drop the dough onto the cookie sheets with a spoon.

Regardless of the trouble with the dough, the cookies baked up into little tasty treats of sweetness.  The oats added a wonderful texture to the cookies.

sugar cookies

Old-Fashion Sugar Cookies

3/4 c butter, softened

3/4 c sugar

1 egg

4 t milk

1 t vanilla

1/2 t grated lemon rind

1 3/4 c all-purpose flour, sifted

1 t baking powder

1/2 t salt

1 c quick cooking oats

Cream the butter, then gradually add in the sugar.  Beat until well combined.  Add the egg and mix until light and fluffy.  Add in the milk, vanilla and lemon rind.  Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture and mix well.  Stir in the oats, then chill the dough for at least 2 hours.  Roll the dough out on a floured surface and cut with cookie cutters.  Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet at 350 degrees for about 8-10 minutes.

Very yummy! 

sugar cookies1

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you’ll visit again soon!

DG

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never have much luck at rolling out cookies, I don't know why. I always prefer making drop cookies, even if the dough is supposed to be rolled out, lol. I love the addition of oats to these cookies, I bet they were delicious. Thank you so much for sharing with Cookbook Sundays and I love your photographs! That jewellery is pretty.

Couscous & Consciousness said...

These cookies sound delicious, and since you mentioned it I think dropping sounds like a whole lot less fuss that rolling and cutting :-)
Happy new year.
Sue

scrambledhenfruit said...

I love cut-out cookies but have never had one with oats! They sound wonderful, especially with the lemon rind- This would be a fun recipe to try. :)