Monday, January 31, 2011

To Paint or Not To Paint…

that’s the question before you today!  This isn’t an actual metamorphosis yet, just contemplating one and would love your thoughts.  So, I’m joining in with Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday.

This Pie Safe was given to me by my Grandmother almost 30 years ago.  It was in her kitchen when I was a child during the 60’s (dating myself here!), but I don’t know how many years she had it before then.  She had it filled with all sorts of dishes and glassware…a real Aladdin’s treasure for me.  I can remember getting dishes from inside it and having tea parties with my dolls.  So much fun!

The top doors have screen in them and I’ll be removing the lace panels that I had put in many years ago. 

pie safe

For quite a while now, it’s been in my bedroom because I had no room to put it in the kitchen.  Since I have a laptop now, the huge desk is gone from the kitchen and I have room to move my Pie Safe into that spot.  Yay, more dish storage in the kitchen!!

pie safe2

I used this chair when the desk was in the room, but it will probably be reupholstered and moved to another room.  The Pie Safe will be placed on this wall next to my Hoosier cabinet, which is a cream color.  All the cabinets in the kitchen are a cream color also. 

So…I’ve been debating painting the Pie Safe to match the cabinets.  However, the top of my island is oak and the Pie Safe will sort of blend with the color of the island top.  I’ve also been thinking about taking the screens out of the Pie Safe and putting glass in the doors.

SANY6824

Decisions, decisions…what to do?  Will the Pie Safe look funny with most everything else in the kitchen being cream?  Should I break down and paint it?  Or leave it as it is?  Change the screens for glass or leave them alone?

In this photo, you can see the corner of the wood island top.  The base of the island is cream. 

SANY6825

I would really appreciate any and all suggestions!

DG

 

1 comment:

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Kim,
I don't know what to tell you as I am torn between painting it or keeping it's original splendor. I love it as it is and I also think it would look lovely painted too. So you are going to have to go with your gut feeling about what you want to do with it. It is a beautiful piece!

Hugs,
Debbie