Monday, December 19, 2011

There’s No Place Like Home for the Holidays

Today, I’m sharing the last of my decorated Christmas trees – one in the hallway and one in the kitchen.

There’s no place like home…the Wizard of Oz is one of my favorite movies.  I can remember, as a child, being so excited when it was played on tv.  Many years ago, I started collecting Hallmark’s Wizard of Oz ornaments and this is one of my family’s favorite trees that we decorate. 

Along with the Hallmark ornaments, the tree is filled with apples, lollipops, poppies, and snowflakes.  A yellow cloth covers the bottom of the tree.  One day, I’ll probably quilt the fabric to look like a yellow brick road.

DSCN8825

Dorothy and Glinda…

DSCN8826

The Great Oz…

DSCN8828

“Ruby Slippers” sit on blue and white gingham fabric…

SANY8576

The Scarecrow was always my favorite of Dorothy’s friends.

SANY8577

I’ll get you, my pretty…

SANY8578

and your little dog too!

toto

The kitchen is truly the heart of my home.  It’s the place where we gather to talk about our day and just spend time together.  It’s a place of warm cookies and milk, fun , laughter and yes, even sometimes tears.

SANY8637

At Christmas, my kitchen is transformed into a Candyland.  I love to see how my grandsons’ eyes light up when they come to visit!

This is a fun “grandmother” ornament that I found a few weeks ago at the thrift store.  She’s all ready to bake with her bag of flour, rolling pin and cookie recipe!  I love the little bun in her hair!

SANY8639

The Hoosier cabinet is set up as a candy station.  Apothecary jars are filled with lots of goodies and treats.

SANY8638

2christmas

The candy tree always brings a smile to my face!

DSCN8830

The gingerbread teapot, sugar and creamer were thrift store finds.  They brighten up the corner of my kitchen.

gingerbread tea

Before I close this post, I would like to introduce you to a very important member of our family.  I was browsing through my favorite consignment shop and there she was…sitting there, just waiting to come home with me.  My daughter named her…what else but “Ginger”, since of course she is a gingerbread girl.  She’s even baked cookies in honor of your visit!

SANY8644

I’m joining Marty for Table Top Tuesday.

Ginger and I thank you so much for visiting with us today and we hope you have a  

Merry Christmas!

DG

 

    

4 comments:

Richard Cottrell said...

You are truly done up for Christmas. my favorite is the candy station. Candy always says Christmas to me. We got a little sack full of old fashion hard candy at my church when I was a kid, makes me think, every time when I see it. Richard from My Old Historic House.

Judy Biggerstaff said...

Thanks for stopping by my bog, I like your Wizard of Oz tree. My daughter and family dressed in Oz character for Halloween and I stamped cards with the characters, you might to see the cards @

http://jbiggslittlescrappieces.blogspot.com/2011_10_01_archive.html

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Wendy!!

I LOVE this post!!

Especially your kitchen!! So pretty!! We have the same Sweet Shop Sign!! I have mine in my Kitchen too on the hutch!!

Wsihing you and your a very Maerry Christmas!!

Hugs,
Debbie

Marti said...

Oh My! I would love to spend Christmas at your house! I will visit this page often! So beautiful,warming, and inviting! I love it!