Thursday, September 1, 2011

Jewels of the Sea

It’s that time again – Susan at Between Naps on the Porch is hosting Tablescape Thursday.  I’m joining in this week and hope to see you there!

I’m also joining up over at A Musing Potpourri for the  End of Summer Celebration.

Although you can’t tell by the temperature where I live, Autumn will soon be here.  I wanted to do at least one more summery table setting before it arrives.  I haven’t used my seashell plates since last summer, so I decided to use them for this setting.  It’s very similar to the one I did last year…just a few changes here and there.

SANY8323

I began with a white tablecloth over which I layered turquoise straw placemats.  A silver charger held white dinner plates that are trimmed with platinum and seashell salad plates. 

SANY8331 

The salad plates featuring seashells and a starfish…

shell1

shell2

An oval bread and butter plate was topped with a butter pat also trimmed with silver.  I found these cute butter spreaders that have a blue fish on them several years ago at a thrift store. 

SANY8334

The goblets I added to the setting are one of my favorite sets.  I love how the blue glass fades into green at the bottom.

SANY8344

I added creamy white beaded napkin rings to the plaid napkins.

SANY8337

At each place setting, I placed a glass votive cup that I filled with sand.  Then I added a white candle and a seashell to each one.

SANY8338

The centerpiece was made using turquoise blue pillar candles with seashells embedded in them.  I also scattered seashells around the candles. 

SANY8333

SANY8322

It’s been a few weeks since I had played around with a table setting…and it’s been a busy few weeks!  After my decision to begin decluttering my life and home, I’ve been going through closets and drawers and getting rid of stuff. 

My dish pantry was such a jumbled up mess with tons of dishes and it was always a job just to find whatever I was looking for.  After paring WAY down on the amount of dishes I had, I organized what I decided to keep…and now I can actually find things when I want to do a table setting!  My dish pantry is now so organized, it’s really scary!  LOL 

My mother-in-law and I had a yard sale this past weekend and I managed to sell a good bit of the items I had.  I was determined that what I didn’t sell was not coming back home with me…so I donated what was left to a local thrift store after the yard sale was over.  I’m far from finished, but I’ve made a great start!

SANY8332

Thanks so much for visiting with me today.  I hope you’ll come back again very soon!

DG

11 comments:

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

What a charming and crisp looking tablescape!!
Love the colors!!

Hugs,
Debbie

Entertaining Women said...

Wonderful cool colors...I love the water blues. Your goblets are really special. Thank you for sharing your charming design and for stopping by my post. Cherry Kay

Kathe said...

Wonderful table! I love the salad plates! I wish I lived near you when you had your yard sale! I would bet I would have purchased many of your dishes and saved you a trip to donate them to the thrift store LOL! I also did a blue and white table for the last of summer. Stop by for a visit sometime.
www.kathewithane.blogspot.com

Lynn said...

Very pretty table, I love the colors and your shell plates:@)

Anonymous said...

I am longin' for the shore...thanks for sharing this wonderful seashore theme...wish I had sand between my toes.
~JO

Diann said...

Beautiful table. Love the shell dishes. And congrats on cleaning out your dishes. I know that is a lot of work!

BluBabesCreate said...

Love the beach theme! Come on over and learn about Winnie the Pooh!

Marigene said...

Oh, my favorite aqua and white...so pretty, DG.

Alycia Nichols said...

You GAVE AWAY dishes??!?!?!! You are a rare & brave bird in this flock of tablescaping swans! Wouldn't it be fun to see your dishes show up on BNOTP? I commend you for tackling the job of organizing your pantry. I know that can be so daunting sometimes. Meanwhile, the shell plates you kept are great!

La said...

Hello and thank you for linking up to the End of Summer Celebration!

Your table is just lovely. Turquoise and white is such a classic combination and your centerpiece is gorgeous. Have a wonderful holiday weekend! La

Bill said...

You really captured the feeling of the seaside -- so relaxing I can almost hear the tide coming in and the waves crashing on the shore! The stemware is perfect. One of my favorite touches would have to be the sand-filled candle holders with the little shells cleverly added. Congratulations on organizing your dish storage area! I'm inspired to do that (but not yet motivated!).

Have a safe, enjoyable weekend,
Bill