Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Pheasants and Wheat

What a wonderful week this has turned out to be!  I had my doubts earlier in the week…we were deluged by Tropical Storm Lee from Sunday morning until late Monday night.  The county where I live was under constant tornado warnings all day Monday.  Fortunately though we didn’t suffer any damage here at my little corner of Alabama.  Just lots of rain and wind.

The temperature has been wonderful since Lee came through!  Highs just in the 80’s and lows in the 50’s at night.  What a fantastic change from the triple digits we’ve had the last several months!

To celebrate the Autumn feeling in the air and since I was stuck in the house Monday, I played around with this table setting.  With the rain pouring down and the wind howling outside, Monday night was perfect for a hot bowl of chili. 

SANY8357

I love using shades of gold, brown and green in the Fall.  I placed a brown tasseled cloth on the table to anchor my setting.  Gold napkin rings held brown napkins at each setting.

SANY8377

I added a crystal vase filled with twigs and dried flowers.

SANY8384

Later, I thought about my pheasant feathers and added them in also.

SANY8385

Next I pulled out a woven tray that I found several years ago at a thrift store.  I placed the vase in the center of the tray.  I put some bay leaves around the vase…but I needed something more.  So I added in the bronzy glass pears (shhh…don’t tell anyone, but they’re actually Christmas ornaments!  LOL)

SANY8382

SANY8359

I really wish I’d had a set of bronze colored chargers, but I had to work with bright gold.  I used cream dinner plates and placed individual covered bowls for the chili on the dinner plates. 

SANY8374

The covered bowls are decorated with a wheat pattern.  I placed bay leaves on each plate.

SANY8375

I added crystal stems trimmed in gold and amber goblets to the table.  The amber goblets belong to my aunt, who was staying with me while Lee was kicking up a fuss around the Gulf Coast.

SANY8376

Candles were a must on the table in case we lost electricity.  We were lucky…the electricity only flickered off and on a couple of times.  Unfortunately, the only color of candles I had that would remotely work were green…hence the use of the green bay leaves in the setting (trying to add more bits of green to the setting).

I pulled out several candleholders trying to decide which to use…and my aunt wanted me to use these, so I did.  Not really what I would have ultimately chosen, but she liked the look of them.

SANY8390

It might have been nasty outside, but we were all cozy inside enjoying our dinner of chili and hot dogs…yep, my girls requested hot dogs to go with the chili.  While I was lighting the candles, my middle daughter said she thought candlelight was just a “little too fancy” for hot dogs…hey, who says hot dogs can’t be fancy??  LOL

SANY8388

I’m joining Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for another Tablescape Thursday.

Hope to see you again soon!

DG

 

 

12 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Beautiful tablescape. I love the use of the pheasant feathers. Everything is beautiful. Hugs, Marty

Susie @ Step inside my home said...

Great Tablescape. Your centerpiece and leaves at each place setting give it a very natural feel. Great use of natural elements! Susie

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

I really like the cozy color combination here! That earthy centerpiece is perfect for fall. I just love all the natural elements of the twigs and leaves with the feathers. The bright golds work with the candlelight. I bet this pretty table was fun to sit down to even with hotdogs! haha

Alycia Nichols said...

I TOTALLY agree! Who says hotdogs can't be fancied up with flickering candlelight? EVERYTHING tastes better by candlelight! Those are bay leaves?!?!?! Those things are HUGE!!! I have never seen a bay leaf that large! What we get up here in the Midwest are those teensy little things that are only about an inch long. Yours loook to be the size of magnolia leaves!!! OK...I exaggerate, but not by much! A bay leaf that size could season enough chili to feed a small army!!! They look great with the tablescape you've created, and I love your candlesticks with the bling! Glad you didn't get hit by the tornadoes AND that you are enjoying better weather now. So are we, and I couldn't be happier about it! Thank you for stopping by my blog earlier this morning (you were up early!), take care, and have a wonderful weekend!

xinex said...

I love your table, love the rustic colors. Your bay leaves are so big! What a great idea to add them. I have a little tree but I never thought of ever using the leaves decoratively....Christine

lvroftiques said...

What a warm and cozy tablescape! Perfect for the Fall! I love the addition of the pheasant feathers. Glad you didn't lose power (for long) and the storm is finally over. Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog! It made my day. *winks* Vanna

Marigene said...

Nice tablescape for a windy, rainy night. I really like the little covered wheat bowls.

Marlis said...

Love love this table.. I do like the candholders your aunt chose.. they are so wonderfully elegant and unexpected. I love your brown cloth, it's a beauty. Your covered bowls are fabulous.. are they family pieces? xo marlis

Barbara F. said...

Love this table, those brown little crocks, love them. Had similar ones years ago, now I am missing them! .....saw this on Pinterest and had to come right over for a visit! xo

A Perfect Setting said...

Gorgeous tablescape! I love the the warm colors, so inviting! Feathers and bling are just great--so many interesting things to look at!

Kathleen said...

Very pretty, and fallish! Enjoy your cooler temps. Beach day here in NY, the water was wonderful

Entertaining Women said...

Fancy hot dogs...we call that 'tube steak.' Wonderful tablescape. I love that you involved your sweet aunt in the process. Thank you for sharing your lovely design. Cherry Kay